Ontology is the branch of metaphysics dealing with the nature of being. As our epistemic sources are increasingly systematized, as top-level abstract concepts with concrete implications proliferate, as we become increasingly entrenched in a post-post-...-post-modern milieu, what is the effect on the foundations of our metaphysical substrate.
The spiral into complete digitization of our daily lives is creating micro-representations at the same time that our global awareness has alarmingly brought our attention to apocalyptic macro-objects such as global warming, globalization, international terrorism, the global trend towards authoritarianism, etc.
Topics to be discussed:
- The effect of “like” on our categories of knowledge. What are “likeable” objects and “unlikeable” objects.
- The “scale” of ontology and how it is changing: hyper-objects and micro-objects.
- Categorical knowledge vs. embodied knowledge (deep ontology vs. deep AI)
- The limits of formal representability
- Knowledge bases and knowledge ownership
- The future of Wisdom
- Representational debt
No spectator - everyone is a speaker.